Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Is Abortion a Necessary Evil? Part 4

Shan's latest reply in our exchange:

Not at all. Outlawing abortion will certainly not eliminate abortion, but will reduce the number of abortions performed. I believe that since both mother and child are human, the net savings in lives will be appreciable.

This is a valid point to say, however... What value do you place per person? I believe a net saving in mothers would far outweigh a net saving in "children".
A healthy adult with an established life out values a unborn fetus with no assumed presence in the world, in my book.

Now...I'm going to try and not sound like I'm picking through semantics here, however I'm not sure how to respond without changing topic.

The crux of our disagreement would lie there if we were debating the morality of Abortion itself, which I would be glad to do. However, the point I had been trying to make was on abortion being a necessity in society, from YOUR moral standpoint.

Weather I personally condemn or condone abortion, if I play by your rules that a fetus is a child, and that abortion is in fact killing a person, will banning it create a more justified balance of human rights than allowing it?

For my take on that, refer to the top of this email, on a mother being more viable than a fetus.
With these rules, deeming abortion an evil, and a dirty subject...I can relate it to this:
You're caught on the edge of a cliff, there are two people hanging from the cliff... The mountain is crumbling away and you only have time to save one of them. Who do you choose? It's a nasty subject that you'd never want to have to decide on, but if you're forced to, who is the more viable candidate to be saved?

Best,
-Shan

No comments: